Yaquina Bay Lighthouse, August, 1997
The Yaquina Bay Lighthouse is one with a history although as a lighthouse, it history was rather brief at three years. The structure was built in 1871 and was discontinued in 1874 after the Yaquina Head Lighthouse started operation. The odd thing is that the Yaquina Head Lighthouse was built at the wrong location, and should have been several miles north.
In later years, the wooden structure served several federal functions, including that of housing the the US Corp of Engineers during the construction of the north jetty at Yaquina Bay.
The lighthouse building was restored in the mid 1970's, and became a museum. It was restored as an operating lighthouse in 1996.
The lighthouse (museum) is open to the public, and offers a wealth of history. It is easy to lose oneself for a few hours.
To reach the lighthouse from Highway 101, turn West off the highway at the sign for the Yaquina Bay State Park and Historic Lighthouse at the north end of the Yaquina Bay bridge.
Oregon Lighthouses - Lorne's Lighthouses
Comments to: Lorne Hull
Last updated: 23 Apr 2001