Umpqua River Lighthouse, August, 1997
The original lighthouse at Umpqua River was completed in 1857. It toppled four years later, in 1861, from erosion. The current structure was completed and placed into service in 1894. It was automated during the 1960's.
In 1983, the first order fresnel lens was de-activated, after the mechanism wore out, and replaced functionally by a small beacon mounted on the outside of the tower. It was placed back into service following a large petition signed by locals.
To visit the lighthouse, take the Umpqua River State Park exit from Highway 101 just south of Winchester Bay.
Oregon Lighthouses - Lorne's Lighthouses
Comments to: Lorne Hull
Last updated: 23 Apr 2001