Red River Lighthouse, August, 2001
The Red River Lighthouse was built at the mouth of the Red River near Winnipeg in 1904. In 1992, it ceased operations and was moved to the Maritime Museum in Selkirk.
Although it no longer functions as an aid to navigation, the light mechanism continues to operate as an attraction.
In addition to the Red River Lighthouse, this site contains the Bear Island Lighthouse and several maritime exhibitions including ships, portraying the importance of marine trade on Lake Winnipeg. The museum should make an interesting day. Unfortunately, when we visited in 2001, it was late in the afternoon, and the museum was closed.
Manitoba Lighthouses - Lorne's Lighthouses
Comments to: Lorne Hull
Last updated: 05 May 2002