Point Piņos Lighthouse - September, 1999
The Point Piņos Lighthouse was first lit on February 1, 1955. It is still operating, making it the oldest continuously operating lighthouse on the West Coast.
The lighthouse is built in the Cape Cod style, as most of the original West Coast lighthouse, with the tower rising through the centre. The third order lens in this lighthouse was originally procured for the Fort Point Lighthouse in San Francisco, but never installed there.
The Point Piņos Lighthouse was badly damaged in the earthquake of 1906. It was replaced in 1907 with another structure of the same design, and equipped with the lens from the original tower. That lighthouse still operates today. It was automated in 1975.
The lighthouse now operates as a museum which is open from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM Thursday to Sunday. All of the building, except the lantern room is accessible to the public.
The lighthouse grounds are surrounded by a fence and not accessible outside museum hours. However, it is possible to obtain good views of the lighthouse from the road and from the golf course which sits next to it.
To get to the lighthouse from Highway 1, take the Del Monte Avenue exit. Keep as close as possible to the shore on the right, through Cannery Row, then along Ocean View Boulevard to Asilomar. There is a small amount of museum parking just outside the gate.
California Lighthouses - Lorne's Lighthouses
Comments to: Lorne Hull
Last updated: 23 Apr 2001